Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Surviving without heat

Without ANY heat? Probably not. Unless you're an eskimo.

My uncle owns a cabin on the Mississippi river and we go there during
winter with no central heat. The only heat we have is a wood stove and
one of those electric oil-filled radiator heaters in the bathroom. It
actually keeps quite cozy in there.

Now if you'd expect me to go up there with no firewood you'd be
crazy...

-T.

wrote:
Just curious. Is it possible for a person to survive winter in the
northern states of the USA without heat in their homes? While I
realize it's not going to be comfortable, is it still possible to
survive? I know people that can not get thru a summer without air
conditioning, while I never have had AC in the summer. I use a fan
and thats about it. There are a few severe days when it gets tough,
but I cope with it. But heat seems like a necessity, while having AC
seems to be more of a luxury. I could be wrong, and that is why I am
asking. I am referring to average winters in a climate where the temps
are generally in the 10s to 30s most of the winter, and may drop to
minus 10 or even 20 for ten or twenty days during the winter. Living
in a standard frame (insulated) house, with no heat whatsoever.