Posted to alt.home.repair
Handi

Default Demanding Home Insurance Companies

Just as a follow-up to the replies to my original posting.

We've seen my mother experience the worst time with her insurance
company. They seem to be acting like bullies maybe because she's a senior
citizen who lives on her own. They probably wouldn't have treated a man the
same.

First they told her to replace her indoor home heating fuel tank because
of its age. That was no easy task, the old tank was in the basement behind
a finished wall. Somehow she found the money and had all the work done.

Second they told her to have her roof replaced or her policy would be
not be renewed. The decision was made by the age of the roof (aprox. twenty
years), not by an actual inspection.

In all fairness though, her roof really did need replacement. Before
the deadline to have the roof replaced it developed serious leaks. Luckily
her son's came through this time with the money and she was able to find a
competent friendly roofing contractor.

I'm getting the impression that there seems to be an increasing problem
with home heating fuel tanks. Indoor tanks are developing small leaks
resulting in costly leaks in basements and outdoor tanks are being damaged
from falling ice or vandals. I've recently seen a story on TV where vandals
broke off the valve off of an outdoor tank resulting in a costly
enviromental cleanup. The soil surounding the tank had to be removed and
properly disposed of.

A popular solution has been the introduction of fiberglass tanks. Oddly
enough I understand that when the typical steel tank rusts its from the
inside, imagine!

anyways, that's my two cents..

Handi