Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Default How to stop my rugs from moving?

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Walter R. wrote:
I have several small orientals on top of w/w carpeting. They never stay
put.
The slightest foot traffic makes them meander all over the wall to wall
carpet. This happens without regard to the size of the throwrugs. Even
9x12
carpets are forever on the move.

I have tried the rubberized underlayments, without success. Short of
nailing
them to the floor, what can I do to hold them in one place?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

If you notice, they always go the same direction. That is due to the
lay of the carpet tufts. I just replace my w/w and they somehow got it
down the same way so my rugs still go the same direction. I haven't
tried any of the sprays as I can't picture anything that would hold
them in place without adding something to the w/w carpet itself.

Harry K

We use a tacky mesh material made specifically for that purpose. It's
not an adhesive, it just has enough tack to hold the throw rugs in place.
It's effectiveness seems to vary with the backing on the top rug and how old
it is; tends to lose its tackiness. I've seen it at Home Depot and Lowes
and carpet stores.