Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
John Mallette

Default Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

My favorite one now is the chains at the malls who send out small safes such
as a McGunn. They expect the store managers to be able to do combo changes
so they send them the key and some instructions. Or they start to use
U-Change cylinders. I enjoy working on the things that are used to
eliminate the locksmith, than I do otherwise.

A few years ago, a local chain store started selling small rekey kits. It
came with 2 keys, pins for 2 cylinders and a follower aith instructions. The
packages said, why pay for expensive locksmiths. I got a few calls from the
customers to repair these rekeyed locks.

Locksmithing will never be a dead industry.

And just one more example, a commercial rental company here got tired of
paying 14 bucks to rekey SFIC cores. So they bought a punch and pin kit.
They then asked us to "give" them the bitting lists for all of the buildings
that they had. Yeah right!