Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default Sony regulator question

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Golf" wrote in message
oups.com...
My next step is replace the transistors, pull the Hot,
and use a variable transformer to slowly increase supply voltage while
taking measurements.

That won't be enough protection I'm afraid. Using a variac means you can
ramp up the voltage slowly, but the current is still potentially
destructive if there's a fault. By the time the power supply kicks in and
draws excessive current due to a fault, it's all over in a microsecond and
your new semicondictors become 'fullyconductors'!

My advice is to use a 100W light bulb in series with the supply to limit
the current to safe levels while faultfinding. If it lights brightly and
the TV's PSU fails to start, you know there's still a problem and it gives
you a second chance to remove the fault.

As you shorted two pins together on the jungle IC, I suspect there's
something blown and loading the PSU, possibly the jungle IC itself.

Dave

I'd suggest doing some Googling. These power supplies and this problem have
been discussed to death and there is lots of info on them. for the record,
Dave, a variac is the better method for these. Most of these supplies will
start switching at just a few volts and it is there that you check the duty
cycle and the switching frequency. Dave's suggestion to follow the Sony
training manual is good advice if you don't understand how they work and
fail.

Leonard