Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Dingley

Default Bandsaw blade sharpening

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 03:13:18 +1300, Richard wrote:

I have seen an article in which you can use a Dremel with a stone to
manually sharpen your bandsaw blade.

What size of bandsaw ? The Wood-mizer (for which it is worth
resharpening blades) costs three or four times as much to re-sharpen its
blades as it does to buy a new blade for my 14" workshop bandsaw. The
workshop saw also has more teeth and the sharpening work would be fiddly
and thus harder / slower to do.

There's also the problem that a small workshop bandsaw bends its blade
round a sharper radius and runs with a higher tension/area on the blade,
all of which increases fatigue in the band itself, causing the band to
break not too long after the teeth are wearing.

Although I'm sure it's _possible_ to re-sharpen bandsaw blades for small
workshop bandsaws, I really can't see the economics of it working out.