Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Barry Mann

Default THD claims of audio signal generators

In , on 01/15/06
at 12:14 PM, "Mr.T" MrT@home said:

"Barry Mann" wrote in message
. com...
In , on 01/06/06
at 06:37 PM, "Mr.T" MrT@home said:

Yes, as far as the signal is concerned, but if the cartridge crosses a
scratch or some dirt, there can be a large transient. Some phono
preamps take quite a while to recover from one of these transient
events.

Only the very poorly designed ones. But I'm uncertain why you are
worried about the amplifier distortion levels caused by a "scratch or
some dirt". The whole transient itself is distortion. One reason why I
always hated vinyl.

If the preamp bumbles for a while, the event lasts longer than it needs
to.

In some respects you can have a similar situation with CD players. A
relatively minor (from a data recovery or error concealment point of
view) bald spot on the disc can cause the transport to bumble around so
long while attempting to reacquire the track that it runs out of data
and the audio must mute. Had the transport been able to coast through
the bald spot, there would have been no audible problem.

My point being that a design shortcoming causes more audible damage
than necessary.

I agree that tic, pop, wow, and tracing distortion are a bummer.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)