Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Honda 6 cylinder 250cc bike from 1966

"Bart D. Hull" wrote:

Sounds like a 2 stroke to me, especially with the revs to
keep it alive. Needs a bit of tuning. I'd have to see a
phote of a head to believe it's a 4 stroke.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

If you're referring to the Honda six, it was definately a four stroke.
Tuned to run at pretty much unheard of revs for it's time, it did not
idle so well, apparently. That and the fact that it was running six
megaphone exhaust pipes, effectively tuned to help produce high rpm
power.

I had a back issue of the Brit bike mag, Classic Bike, in which they
had a teardown and some test reports on that one.

It was right about the era of these bikes, IIRC what I read, that the
FIM set in place a bunch of rules limiting the numbers of cylinders for
given displacements (or perhaps it was limiting the numbers of gear sets
in the transmission), effectivly ending that particular evolutionary
(revolutionary?:-) )path.

http://www.eurospares.com/graphic2.htm Has a couple shots of one of
these Hondas that has been put back on the track by an outfit called
Team Obsolete. They have some cool toys!

Cheers
Trevor Jones