Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Demanding Home Insurance Companies

"Handi" wrote in message

When I bought my home I had to provide proof of the age and condition
of the furnace oil tank before I could get an insurance policy. My mother
was threatened twice by her home insurance company of cancellation if she
didn't replace furnace oil tank and her roof.

I know they are trying to protect their losses but should they be able
to threaten their customers like this?

I've heard a couple of similar stories, but no first hand evidence. If you
are talking outside underground tanks, it may even be a law as commercial
tanks here had to be replaced after a certain time. Internal, sounds like
overkill. Tanks can be tested with an ultrasonic device to check for
weakness. They last for many decades so unless there is evidence of rust,
there is no need to replace.

As for the roof, is it in need of repair or replacement? Did they inspect
it? If there are problems with it I can understand they would not want to
insure the house, but if it is just say, 10 years old, unless damaged there
is not need. Some roofs can go 40 years.