Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Replacing and installing ceiling fans in an exposed indoor ceiling beam

The wiring to the existing fan was done during construction and would
probably be impractical to try to wire a second fan the same way. You could
install a surface mounted box at the original location and extend a conduit
from it to the second location. "Wiremold" company makes surface mounted fan
support boxes as well as more decorative conduit

"Adam Preble" wrote in message
My living room has an elevated ceiling that rises and peaks somewhere
inside, with a beam running across it. In this beam is one ceiling fan. I
am hoping to replace it, as well as installing a second fan on this beam.
It's a room that could use two fans, and I wouldn't mind extending the
circuit if I had to; I would want both fans to be controlled by the same
switch.

Replacing the original fan seems easy enough, and it would perhaps be the
easiest installation in the whole house. I've put two fans in elsewhere,
and they were trouble for different reasons. This is an existing fixture
that's right in the beam. My real concern is what I'd have to do to
extend cable if I must.

I don't see how the original fan was wired. There's no crawl space in
that part of the ceiling. From what I can tell, it's just inches away
from the roof itself. The beam was painted by the previous owners, and it
hides anything that might have been done. I don't see a painted over wire
running along the beam, so it must have gotten its power somehow.

Does anybody have an idea of how a fan like that is wired? Is it
practical to DIY install the second fan? The worst installation was
changing a light fixture to mount a fan. I had to put in a new hole two
feet away from the original fixture and run wire to it. I put the radio
receiver for it in the original fixture's hole. Am I looking at something
much more complicated?