Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default How long does it take?

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

Now there is a question I get a lot at wood shows. "How long does it
take to turn a bowl like that?" So what kind of an answer do you give?
A couple of hours? Three or four? I turn rough and let dry so some may
take a couple of months and some a couple of years until I get around
to finish turning. Have they taken months, years, or 2-3 hours?
I roughed out three salad bowls from spalted birch today. Each blank
was brought inside and roughed to shape with a chain saw. All the
extra pieces were picked up and tossed in a kindling box. A screw
chuck was mounted. The piece was mounted on the lathe. After turning
each piece was coated with anchorseal. Shavings were cleaned up and
bagged for the compost pile.Tools were sharpened frequently and at one
point I remade the stop blocks for the sharpening jig because the
wheel was worn and the angles were off. So how did it take to rough
the bowls? 45 minute each? An hour each? What do you enlightened folks
say?

How old was the tree?