Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin Whybrow

Default Cleaning rust from transformer laminations?

"axolotl" wrote in message
Don Foreman wrote:

I suppose one might argue that there is no "turn" unless there is a
physical entity, separate from the core metal, that looks like a
shorted turn. OK, absent that it's an eddy current -- one honker of
an eddy current!

It is the "shorted turn" concept I have a problem with. A powdered iron
toroid core will show a low DC resistance. It will, however support a
respectable flux density due to the distributed air gaps (or, if you
prefer, multiple domains) in it.

Kevin Gallimore

Sorry Kevin,
I've got to disagree with you; powdered iron cores have high electrical
resistivity since they consist of iron powder and an insulating binder. The
whole reason for using them is that they don't support eddy currents which
is what makes them good for high frequency use.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom