Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Cleaning rust from transformer laminations?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:26:34 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Don Foreman :
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:27:13 -0500, axolotl
wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

If the varnish is stripped off there will be one giant conductive
shorted turn. The transformer will smoke.

In this you are mistaken. The steel is a magnetic material. The
insulated laminations reduce the eddy current losses. It is not unusual
for laminated cores to be welded to reduce acoustic noise. A solid lump
of iron would still function as a (lousy) transformer core.

Kevin Gallimore

It would be a very hot lousy transformer!

But only because of magnetic eddy currents, not shorted turns..

Enjoy,
DoN.

And the difference is?

Hint: current is current. "Eddy" just connotes current circulating
in a small region. What constrains the region size?

I suppose one might argue that there is no "turn" unless there is a
physical entity, separate from the core metal, that looks like a
shorted turn. OK, absent that it's an eddy current -- one honker of
an eddy current!

If we have many such axially-adjacent regions, are they in
parallel?
(Ducking........)