Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buy_Sell

Default first attempts tig welding...or, "how to get really fast grinding tungsten"

When I first started TIG welding, I would setup my practice work
outside in the bright sunshine. This way, I could see everything when
I was working. My helmet has Swiss optics and starts as a shade # 4
which allows me to easily see my work in the bright sunlight. When the
arc strikes, the helmet's shade changes to shade # 9 - 14 depending on
what my preference is. I also found that if you first learn to
oxy-acetylene weld prior to learning how to TIG weld, it helps a lot.
If you haven't taken this route, then start with a piece of scrap steel
and practice burning holes thru it with the TIG. Forget about the
filler rod initially and just practice melting metal. Once you have a
good idea of what your TIG welder can do, then practice using the
filler rod to fill in all of the holes that you made in your practice
piece of metal.
Jon Elson Jan 9, 1:24 pm

At least with my auto-dark helmet, I CAN'T see the electrode tip. If I
expose much of the electrode, the light is blinding, and that is ALL I
can see.
So, I can see the electrode, sort of, but I can't see the workpiece in
relation to it.