Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:16:51 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:10:10 +0000, Huge wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:17:12 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On 13 Jan 2006 01:07:12 -0800, wrote:

As you see many Rayburn owners turn them off in the summer and make do
with an ordinary cooker instead. They only need to take a small logical
step to understand that this makes the Rayburn redundant as a cooker. Not
to mention that most Aga owners also have a collection of toasters,
electric kettles, microwaves, baby belling hot plates etc etc to make up
for the deficiencies of the Agas.

That's urban legend.

So much so, in fact, that the three people I know who own Agas all do
this, and the house we rented in Cornwall with an Aga last year also had an electric
hob built it.

In other words, it's not a UL at all.

As I said, it depends on the size of the kitchen. If it's of
reasonable size, there is no need to turn off the Aga in the summer.

There is actually, we have 40 sq meters of well inuslated kitchen, and
believe you me, even with the doors into the other rooms permanetly open,
with summer temps often over 20C, ANY heat beyind that is not wanted.

I personally do NOT like having an aga on and openiong all the windows just
to stay cool.

So I turn the bugger off.

Some people may choose to do so because, for example, they choose to
cook outside instead or are away on holiday.

This past year, we only turned ours off for just over a day to remove
the burner for cleaning, but that's it.

On a day like today, when it's cold and drizzling outside, it's a real
pleasure to come in from an early morning walk, warm up, dry out and
have some toast of unassailable quality prepared on the Aga.

Oh for sure, but when temps outside are up around 23-25C? No way.

We like to come into a COOL kichen with a mass of cast iron and a brick
alcove that is still cool from last night...