Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don Phillipson

Default Newbie Q: sump pump

wrote in message
oups.com...

As far as making sure that the pump works, is that something the owner
has to be checking every day? Do you then need to get down to where the
pump is located?

Frequency of checking the sump pump is serviceable
is governed by frequency of need. (Having unknowingly
built on an underground spring, my neighbour's sump
pump is running 250 to 300 days a year.)

It is no trouble to check. Just remove the sump
cover (desirable to stop children playing in the water)
and if there is any water there jiggle the float switch.
If the pump is OK it will run briefly.

If you are nervous, have a spare pump ready to
instal whenever the old one may break down. The
last I bought cost $25 and installed in one minute.
(Connect pump output valve to hose and plug in
its electric plug.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs