Posted to rec.woodworking
Steven L Umbach

Default Need a Saw -- Radial Arm or Sliding Compound Mitre?

I am far from being an experienced woodworker - more of a do it yourself
carpenter that does some trim work but here is my 2 cents. I have a RAS and
a CMS but since you mentioned crown molding you really might want to
consider a CMS where you can cut the crown upside down on the saw standing
up against the fence or flat doing both bevel and miter cuts at the same
time. I wish I had bought the Bosch 3912 12 inch CMS [not sliding] that goes
for around $280. It comes with a 40 tooth decent blade [many come with crap
blades that you will need to replace] and has both preset miter and bevel
stops for crown though if not close to a 90 degree corner you would need to
make adjustments. The 12 blade will also give you better crosscut capability
and height against the fence. I bought a Pro Tech 10 inch [$139] inch miter
saw at Menards kind of on a whim but it works well. I think any brand is
made in China or Taiwan these days. For occasional ripping duty you could
use a couple saw horses and a circular saw with a guide clamped on. If I was
going to do it again I would buy the Bosch 3912. There are lots of reviews
on Amazon on CMS and it seems that a lot like their Dewalts [non sliding].
If you really want a sliding CMS you might reconsider and but a regular CMS
and then a used RAS for probably the same money. I have never used a sliding
CMS but the Hitachi's get good reviews on Amazon. Good luck --- Steve

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

"Java Man" wrote in message
ble.net...
I sold my RAS 3 years ago thinking I'd never use it after we moved into
a new house, but I was wrong. Don't tell my wife -- she thinks I'm
perfect. ;-)

I have a few projects needing more than my skill saw. I need to decide
whether to buy a good used RAS (there are hundreds out there in great
condition sitting unused in basements and garages) or go for a new
sliding mitre saw.

Projects I currently have on my list include some framing, fence-
building, and putting baseboard and crown molding in several rooms. If I
hired a handyman to do even one of these projects, it would cost at
least 3x what a new saw will cost. Plus, I enjoy the projects as long as
I don't have a deadline and can knock off to "watch the game" when I
feel like it.

I liked my RAS for cross-cutting, and in a pinch it was acceptable for
ripping plywood. I didn't find it great for really good finished mitre
cuts, but that could be me rather than the saw. I've never used a
compound mitre saw and don't know if it would be any better than the old
RAS. I have enough space for either saw.

Which saw would you choose for these projects (and more like them in
future), and why? If a CMS, is there a particular 10 inch model you
recommend?

Thanks,

Rick