Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Face mill, flycutter, etc.

Hello all,

I finally used the cheapo shell/face/whatever-it-is cutter that came
with my mill, and I'm rapidly getting hooked So far, I am cutting
plastic and using it for squaring.

At 3 inch diameter, the cutter is large enough to reveal that my head
leans to the right (fortunately the mill leans much less than its
owner/operatorg). I'm not going to mess with it just yet, but I am to
the point of wanting recommendations for shim material. Is there a
particularly smart (or stupid) way to buy shims?

For a replacement of the cutter, the choices appear to be a flycutter or
an indexable face mill. I am leaning toward a face mill; it strikes me
as being more robust and safer than a flycutter. Indexable mills are a
little more expensive than I might like. The price might get me to
compromise on 2 inch diameter, which would have the side benefit of
reducing the effects of column misalignment.

Any recommendations for a good choice from Enco? Clearly the face mills
are designed for a particular insert type, but I have no clue whether I
should start by picking the face mill or the type of inserts???

Bill