Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Washing machine bearing replacement

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
It's time to change the drum bearings in my Hotpoint again (it's
nearly 20 years old). Hit a snag this time -- I can't get the
drum shaft out of the bearings. The outer (smaller) bearing still
looks to be OK and the shaft is sliding in that one (there's
about a mm axial play), so I presume it's stuck in the inner
bearing which I can't see. The bearing seal has failed too, so
I guess this might have corroded. Any suggestions? I've tried
hitting the end of the shaft, but that's not made any difference.
Only other thing I can think of is to take the whole outer drum
out, put it face-down on the floor, and stand on the drum shaft,
hoping that might push it out.

Can you get a bearing puller to it?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=41456&n=&s=0&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y= 0

David