Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Fluorescent Bulb Usage

Randy wrote:
I'm curious about something guys. Energy saving compact
fluorescent bulbs and fluorescent tube light fixtures don't work well
at relatively low temperatures (below freezing) which is why they
shouldn't be used in cold climates in an unheated garage.

Funny they work just fine in my garage. Many of today's models work
fine at low temp. They may take a few additional seconds to come up to full
brightness however.

Here's my question; how can fluorescent tube light fixtures in
outdoor commercial signs work in cold temperatures? Are they
designed different?

I also have the general light in my garage using tube type (4 ft and 8
ft) that are cold rated and they work great.

Handi

P.S.: Fluorescent bulbs can not be operated with the typical light
fixture dimmer. I'm assuming that they require a specialized dimmer.

Special light and maybe a special dimmer, check the light for details.

And one last thought. I like the idea of saving money with energy
saving compact fluorescent bulbs but I don't like the color of their
light. What do you think?

I think you should buy a CF with a different light color. They are not
all the same color and in general they are getting better.

In the bath I use a mix of CF and tungsten. It makes a good light.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit