Spehro Pefhany

Default What lathe must I get to duplicate this fog horn part?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:27:07 -0400, the renowned Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article
, Stans4
says...

It's interesting that this would have been cast aluminum back in 1918.

Why? Aluminum castings have been around a lot longer than that. Ever
see a Liberty engine crankcase casting? It was a WW-1 vintage
aircraft engine, a very elaborate casting. There was just no real
standardization of alloys like we have today.

Not a whole lot longer, at least not in commercial
quantities.

http://www.world-aluminium.org/history/index.html#

So Eros of Picadilly Circus is aluminum? Cool! Cast ca. 1893 (supposed
to be the first statue cast of aluminum, or perhaps we should say
"aluminium").

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany