Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default Centering router on table base

I have seen the sled that runs on a bushing used on the Router Workshop.
Interesting idea but nothing you couldn't do with a fence. A pin router
would be more versatile than a bushing setup. The pin takes the place of a
bearing or bushing. Only difference is that your template is on top. The pin
has an advantage over a bushing as it can be the same size as the bit so no
pattern offset is needed.

"Oleg Lego" wrote in message
I don't know what to call the operation, but using a guide bushing as
a sort of 'fence' looks to me like it would be real handy. The idea is
to make a sort of 'sled' with a slot that rides on each side of the
guide bushing(with little or no slop, side to side), with a fence on
it, that guides the work over the bit.
If it was me, and I wanted to spend time dorking with a router
table, I'd make a pin router.

They look kind of neat, but aren't they overkill and useful for only a
few types of operations?