Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On 14 Jan 2006 04:00:01 -0800, wrote:

Huge wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:17:12 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On 13 Jan 2006 01:07:12 -0800,
wrote:

As you see many Rayburn owners turn them off in the summer and make do
with an ordinary cooker instead. They only need to take a small logical
step to understand that this makes the Rayburn redundant as a cooker. Not
to mention that most Aga owners also have a collection of toasters,
electric kettles, microwaves, baby belling hot plates etc etc to make up
for the deficiencies of the Agas.

That's urban legend.

So much so, in fact, that the three people I know who own Agas all do
this, and the house we rented in Cornwall with an Aga last year also had an electric
hob built it.

In other words, it's not a UL at all.

Exactly - and I've seen the same in many houses in fact I don't think
I've ever seen an Aga kitchen which didn't have a good range of cooking
"accessories".

That's curious. The only additional cooking equipment that I have is
a small microwave which is seldom used and a gas grill outside which
gets occasional use in the summer. Of the many friends and
acquaintances that I have with Agas or other storage cookers, I can't
think of anyone with notably more than that - simply because it isn't
necessary.

I've been in hundreds of kitchens as part of my job.
When we had a Rayburn on it's own it was a complete PITA and we soon
added a gas cooker etc but kept the Rayburn as space and water heater
and occasional cooker. Not very good as a space heater as was not
possible to regulate it. Crap as a cooker.

Some people do have difficulty in learning the (what are really fairly
straightforward) methods of cooking with a storage cooker. It took
us a couple of days, and in fact the much greater flexibility and
versatility of what can be cooked and where and the quality of the
result far exceeds anything that was possible with fan ovens, gas hobs
and all the rest of it.

--

..andy