Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:34:51 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
As you see many Rayburn owners turn them off in the summer and make do
with an ordinary cooker instead.

Evidence?

I have a Rayburn for cooking, heating, and hot water - but I turn it off
in
the summer.

LOL! That's one user.

The poster said "many". You're the only one I've heard of. To substantiate
his statement he needs to provide more evidence.

I didn't know you had summer, btw ... :-)

Mary

Sheila

We have an aga, and turtn it off in summer.

Its a lovely space heater, and it cooks ceratun things better than anything
else does, but you need to understand how to get the best out of it.

It has an electric cooker bolted on te side..and we use that for grills and
in summer - when grilled meat and salad is more what we eat than stews,
roasts and bakes..

I also have a microwave. Nothing cooks scarmbled eggs better than a
microwave, or reheats peppered smoke mackerel fillets faster.

We alos have between us 5 cars of various types and on road pereparedness.
One, an old 1978 ;androver, is the nearest thing to a motorised
wheelbarrow, and has used 2 gallons of petrol this year, carting logs up
and down the garden :-)

Horses for courses.

All I can say is that an aga is definitely a step up from the one gas ring
that I used to cook quite complex meals on, at college.

Or the eternal barbecue that we learnt to cook everything on, in Africa.

But I accept its limitations as well.