Jeff Wisnia

Default What lathe must I get to duplicate this fog horn part?

Fdmorrison wrote:

Adam Smith

Believe me, I do wish I knew some machinists! Unfortunately, most of my
contemporaries here in the Boston area are in the computer business.
I'll ask around though, maybe somebody I know knows somebody...

The New England Model Engineering Society meets first Thursday nights (7:00) of
each month, at the Charles River Museum of Industry, Moody Street (named for a
truly great early machinist, btw), center of Waltham, MA.

http://www.newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

(sorry for the bad wrap)

Try both carbide and HSS.
(wouldn't want HSS to get a bad rap without empirical evidence)
Frank Morrison

I wuz just about to make the same suggestion Adam. Get thee over to the next town
from you next Thursday night and buddy with the guys there. I'm not a member, but
I've been to a couple of meetings. I found the membership an eclectic mixture of
old farts like me and some younger guys who are into computers, robots and CAM.

BTW, If you don't know where the entrance to the museum is, you might want to scout
it out in the daytime. The first time I went there (after dark) I had a heck of a
time figuring out where to stash my car, and almost fell in the Charles River!

Jeff , In Winchester, MA. Whose son Adam's company near you in Watertown makes all
kinds of stuff from metal. (http:// www.pbasics.com)

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can keep smiling when things go wrong, you've thought of someone to place
the blame on."