Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

Default Centering router on table base

The J T entity posted thusly:

Fri, Jan 13, 2006, 7:25pm (EST-1) (Oleg*Lego)
doth admit:
snip I am trying to do it "my way", but my way includes allowing the
mounting of guide bushings to the table. I gather from dadiOH's post,
that this is not always done.

No, it's "not" always done that way, probably ever. I use flush
trim bits. I've got a set of guide bushings, but have never used them -
and wouldn't "even" want to mess with them on a router table.

I see flush trim bits as good for routing to a pattern, but aren't
there other good uses for guide bushings?

I don't know what to call the operation, but using a guide bushing as
a sort of 'fence' looks to me like it would be real handy. The idea is
to make a sort of 'sled' with a slot that rides on each side of the
guide bushing(with little or no slop, side to side), with a fence on
it, that guides the work over the bit.

Hey, I'm just a novice at this stuff, so maybe there are better ways
to do these things. I'd be happy to learn.

If it was me, and I wanted to spend time dorking with a router
table, I'd make a pin router.

They look kind of neat, but aren't they overkill and useful for only a
few types of operations?