Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default first attempts tig welding...or, "how to get really fast grindingtungsten"

I'm from a soldering background so i would rather condition myself to
penetrating deeper than needed than the make the type of nice looking
barely penetrating Joints that are normal good ones for soldering.

I'm a harsher critic of my own welds than anyone else i know

John P. wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:07:08 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

I think i'd be in danger of not penetrating deep enough if i do that

Well, if your application requires 100% penetration it might be a
problem, but for normal stuff it will work just fine...

I think i'm going to stick to grinding tungsten till i get it right

that having been said i'm very happy with my Stainless welds without
filler so i know at least from the torch side i'm doing that end right

Maybe if i hold the filler higher so that the cup kind of protects the
tungsten?

Or just drink more coffee while grinding more tungsten and cussing a bit
more

I think you've got the right plan now. ;-)

John P.

John P. wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:11:37 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

I'm worst with my filler control especially with touching the filler
direct to the tungsten. I'm getting a LOT better but it will be a decade
at least b4 i call myself good

One trick that works sometimes... instead of dipping your filler into
the puddle, lay the filler rod right along the seam that you are
welding and just start welding. Too large a filler rod is better
than too small when using this technique.

Have fun,

John P.