Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Brock

Default Costs to lay ceramic tile

Thanks for all of the great replies! I'm feeling a bit more comfortable
with the quote now and I have a much better feel for what to ask the
contractors with respect to materials. How long do you think something like
this would typically take, with say two men?

It would appear that they sell the Hardibacker at both Lowes and Home Depot
(and we have more than enough of both around).

Michael

" news1.news.adelphia.net" wrote in message
We have gotten a quote to lay ceramic tile in our home. More specifically
about 475sq feet of 12 x 12 tile in three rooms. We're thinking that we
will purchase the tile and pay someone for labor and the balance of the
materials. The first quote we received was $2800 for the labor (works out
to about $6/sq foot) and an additional $920 for materials (grout, cement
board, etc.). This labor would include removing the old flooring (1/2
carpet, 1/2 vinyl flooring), laying down cement board, and laying the
tile. We're located in central VA, near Fredericksburg (think outer
suburbs/long commute outside of DC)

I know every one wishes that they had someone to assure that every
purchase is a good deal but can anyone shed a light on whether or not this
quote seems at all reasonable? We have a few other requests for quotes
out and we're waiting on those.

Michael