Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

Default Costs to lay ceramic tile

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:27:58 -0500, Keith Williams
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
We are actually planning on using an 18" tile, but for some reason the
person who quoted this did it for 12" tiles...not exactly sure why.
The contractor is also going to be the one providing the thinset
(that's part of the $920 that they quoted for materials); all we're
going to provide is the tile itself. I'll look into the
hardibackerboard. Is it superior to concrete board?

I'm a DIYer and have used both. I like the HardiBacker much
better. It's easier to work with and from all I've been able to
find, just as good. The cement board seemed to crack when flexed
(under its own weight).

Thanks for the information on the tile as well. I'll see what we can
get in porclain.

Just for information, James Hardie's Hardibacker is a cement based
product. In fact, it is called, "the Ultimate Cement Board."
http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboard/ We have used the James Hardie
siding on one home, and the hardibacker on this home. We had the
entire house except bedrooms tiled using porcelain tile and
hardibacker. It is a superior product.

Dick