Posted to sci.electronics.repair
cnctut

Default Winding Varnish ???

rijo wrote:
Hi group , I need to know what type of varnish is used on electrical
windings . I have several projects that will require varnish coated
copper wire . Thanks for any good answers to my question in advance . Rick

jijo--

A-C Motor Repair and Rewinding published in 1941 says this--"...dip
the coil in a good black baking varnish and bake it dry...The varnish
should be kept at a specific gravity of about .84; the coils are dipped
cold and allowed to soak about 15 to 20 minutes until the air bubbles
stop rising to the surface of the varnish. Then the coils are drained
and baked from 6 to 10 hours in an oven with forced ventilation, at
from 115-120 C or about 240 to 250 F. For normal operating conditions
two dips and baking are preferable...four or five dips and bakes are
advisable for bad operating conditions....."

I have never insulated my own wire but it can be done--enamel wire just
sounds simpler.

Good luck,

Tut