Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Need a Saw -- Radial Arm or Sliding Compound Mitre?

In my opinion, a RAS is a good rough in tool or one to cut scrap wood for
the wood burning heater in the shop. As you have already determined it is
not usually a real precision machine. Based on your project list the miter
saw seems like the best choice, however, if you plan many additional future
projects it may be time to consider a good table saw.

Don Dando

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:46:58 GMT, Java Man
wrote:

I sold my RAS 3 years ago thinking I'd never use it after we moved into
a new house, but I was wrong. Don't tell my wife -- she thinks I'm
perfect. ;-)

I have a few projects needing more than my skill saw. I need to decide
whether to buy a good used RAS (there are hundreds out there in great
condition sitting unused in basements and garages) or go for a new
sliding mitre saw.

Projects I currently have on my list include some framing, fence-
building, and putting baseboard and crown molding in several rooms. If I
hired a handyman to do even one of these projects, it would cost at
least 3x what a new saw will cost. Plus, I enjoy the projects as long as
I don't have a deadline and can knock off to "watch the game" when I
feel like it.

I liked my RAS for cross-cutting, and in a pinch it was acceptable for
ripping plywood. I didn't find it great for really good finished mitre
cuts, but that could be me rather than the saw. I've never used a
compound mitre saw and don't know if it would be any better than the old
RAS. I have enough space for either saw.

Which saw would you choose for these projects (and more like them in
future), and why? If a CMS, is there a particular 10 inch model you
recommend?

Thanks,

Rick

for the above mentioned projects or any other you may have, if you
need a lot of cross cut capacity you might choose the RAS or a SCMS.
The SCMS is certainly more portable.

If you don't need a lot of cross cut capacity and want better
repeatibility and precision a good CMS is what you want. The CMS
seems to be more appropriate for the above mentioned tasks.

Have no opinion on model. I've only used Delta, but that is because I
could get them at a very low price. Seems like every Mag does a CMS
comparison about every year. Do some research.

Frank