Posted to rec.woodworking
Java Man

Default Need a Saw -- Radial Arm or Sliding Compound Mitre?

I sold my RAS 3 years ago thinking I'd never use it after we moved into
a new house, but I was wrong. Don't tell my wife -- she thinks I'm
perfect. ;-)

I have a few projects needing more than my skill saw. I need to decide
whether to buy a good used RAS (there are hundreds out there in great
condition sitting unused in basements and garages) or go for a new
sliding mitre saw.

Projects I currently have on my list include some framing, fence-
building, and putting baseboard and crown molding in several rooms. If I
hired a handyman to do even one of these projects, it would cost at
least 3x what a new saw will cost. Plus, I enjoy the projects as long as
I don't have a deadline and can knock off to "watch the game" when I
feel like it.

I liked my RAS for cross-cutting, and in a pinch it was acceptable for
ripping plywood. I didn't find it great for really good finished mitre
cuts, but that could be me rather than the saw. I've never used a
compound mitre saw and don't know if it would be any better than the old
RAS. I have enough space for either saw.

Which saw would you choose for these projects (and more like them in
future), and why? If a CMS, is there a particular 10 inch model you
recommend?

Thanks,

Rick