Posted to sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y

Default Smaller GLS bulbs

WM wrote:
Here in the UK, at my local Tesco supermarket I saw some GLS bulbs
which has a glass envelope that were slightly smaller than usual.

What's the idea behind this?

Wouldn't a 100W filament make a smaller bulb glass envelope get
hotter than the larger standard envelope.

And therefore wouldn't this make the life shorter?

It reduces the amount of material used, and the energy needed to
produce that material. It also reduces the amount of energy used in
transport, and the amount of material in landfill. And finally less
shelf space equals space for another line. So its more efficient all
round. I presumed those were the reasons for doing it.

Golf ball bulbs are the other option for lower wattages, but not 100w.

NT