Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

Default Costs to lay ceramic tile

In article .com,
says...
We are actually planning on using an 18" tile, but for some reason the
person who quoted this did it for 12" tiles...not exactly sure why.
The contractor is also going to be the one providing the thinset
(that's part of the $920 that they quoted for materials); all we're
going to provide is the tile itself. I'll look into the
hardibackerboard. Is it superior to concrete board?

I'm a DIYer and have used both. I like the HardiBacker much
better. It's easier to work with and from all I've been able to
find, just as good. The cement board seemed to crack when flexed
(under its own weight).

Thanks for the information on the tile as well. I'll see what we can
get in porclain.

I'm going to do the same. I'm planning on doing the master bath
when the weather gets better. The wet saw makes a mess and doesn't
work too well when the "wet" part is frozen - BTDT. ;-)

In your opinion how difficult is this sort of thing for a home owner to
do? I am pretty handy (but then who doesn't think that grin) and
just finished adding a 30 x 16" deck. I think I'll pick up a good
tile-laying book and investigate that route.

I've done two bathrooms (bath and a half), laundry, and a couple of
closets. It's hard work but I don't find floors to be all that
difficult. Walls are another matter since gravity isn't working in
your favor.

I'm not sure I'd want to tackle 475sq.ft. all at once. I'd
certainly buy one of the mini mortar mixers if I tackled something
that size. Mixing thinset in a bucket gets old ($3700 doesn't
sound bad .

--
Keith