Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson

Default Bandsaw blade sharpening

I have been resharpening bandsaw blades with a dremel for a gazillion
years (seems like it, anyway), long before Steven's article appeared.
I'm sure the method has been discovered independently by a lot of folks.
I use either a rigid sanding disk or a diamond disk in the dremel and just
lightly tap the top of each tooth. By hitting the top rather than the
front face you can position the hand with the dremel in one spot braced on
the table and move the blade to the next tooth with the other hand at the
rate of about one second per tooth. It's very quick and easy. Steven
recommends going over the blade twice, once for the right set teeth and
once for the left set teeth. I have done it that way but my normal
practice is to do all the teeth straight across. That way I can do them
all at once. I haven't noticed any significant difference in the quality
of the cut afterwards. My suspicion is that the teeth are formed before
they are set and that explains the apparent dual sharpening angles, not
that it is a superior cut. I showed the method to Cindy Drozda and she
soon came up with a nifty way to speed things up even more, which is the
way I have been doing it for several years now. Open the cover over the
top wheel and turn it by hand several times at a constant rate in the
reverse direction while holding a diamond hone or the dremel in a fixed
position so it barely skims the tip of each tooth as it speeds past. I
can resharpen a 105" 3 tpi blade in less than a minute (including plugging
in the dremel) with this method and the results are fine for general
woodturner needs. I don't do precision resawing of flat stock or other
demanding applications so I can't speak to that. Maybe some of you guys
who do that kind of thing can get back to me on that.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co