The Natural Philosopher

Default Paintintg Oil Tank

Wanderer wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:36:58 +0100, Martin Carroll wrote:

Any recommendations for painting the Oil tank. It sits on a small brick
wall behind the garage and is just beginning to show a few signs of
rust.

You'll need to satisfy yourself about its integrity - is it still fairly
sound, is there any likelihood of it springing a leak?

If you are happy that the tank has some years of life left in it, use a
bitumen-based paint. They are available in several colours, I used a cream
paint when I did one at my last house.

You might, however, be better off biting the bullet and paying for a
'plastic' replacement tank, especially if the existing is quite old.

I justr wirebrushed mine, and slapped on a coat of jenolite, and sprayed
it with a red car primer.

Mostly the lack of oxygen in the water at the bottom, and the lack of
water in the oil at the top, stops them rusting INSIDE.

Ultimately we cut it up with an angle grnder and skipped it but that was
a few years later..