Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Rayburn efficiency?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 13 Jan 2006 05:34:11 -0800, "Helen" wrote:

Financially we can cope with the current costs - however we don't have
money to burn so would like to make what we have as efficient as
possible. Not sure what you mean about filling in the blanks - we have
double glazing in all bar two of our windows - the front of the house
has three largish windows (about 3ft x 6ft each) which are double
glazed. The loft is inaccessible - and is something we need to do
something about.

Helen, the main heat loss elements of a house are the loft and the
walls normally.

If the loft is inaccessible (has always been inaccessible?) then there
will be no insulation and that represents a fairly substantial heat
loss. It would be very sensible for you to fix that with some
insulation of 200-250mm thickness.

How about the walls? What material are they? Are they solid or with
a cavity? If there is a cavity, then putting in cavity insulation
would also make quite a difference.

It makes a huge difference.

If the house is in an exposed position, then this increases heat loss
further.

I would suggest focussing on these areas first because I think that
you can potetnially make a bigger difference there than with the
cooker.

Draught proofing is vital.

Mary

--