Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Connecting to a "washing machine" inlet

Christian McArdle wrote:

Another thought: Tap connectors usually have a shoulder or spigot on
which the washer sits, and which is intended to go inside the tap
tail. I have somethines found with plastic fittings - particularly
on toilet cisterns - that the spigot *won't* go into the fitting,
and needs to be filed back to less than the thickness of the washer
in order to get a seal.

Yes. Presumably the plastic pipe is too thick. Shall I just go for a
3/4" iron and seal it? One of the main disadvantages of the tap
connector is the much reduced bore through the middle, so a standard
iron fitting should allow more flow.

Obviously with non-tapered threads, you just need to know when to
stop, but it should seal fine against plastic with PTFE shouldn't it?

Christian.

You could use one of these: http://tinyurl.com/e284n

PTFE tape isn't really any good on parallel threads - you need to seal on a
*face*. In this case, a rubber washer of suitable thickness would be best.
It may need to be quite fat if the FI fitting has got a lot more thread than
your plastic softener.
--
Cheers,
Set Square