Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

Default Converting Compressor motor from 220 v to 110 v

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:33:28 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Real 5hp motors couldn't be run on 120v. Well, they could, but would draw
50a...
If this is a craftsman 5hp 6a motor, you probably can convert it. The
directions will be either on the motor itself, or under a cover where the
plug is attached. Normally convertable motors will give the amperage at
both voltages on the nameplate.

I've checked the motor plate:

It's a one speed motor v230, 60 Hz and 13.1 A (Amps?) . There is no
mention of "dual voltage".

I did find a diagram under the switch housing, but nothing to indicate
capability to wire another configuration. It (reminded me of the
wiring for a GFCI) had - lines IN (plug cord) and lines OUT (motor
cord).

The manual indicates a minimum branch circuit of 15 amps and " This
compressor can be operated on a 15 amp circuit if: voltage supply to
circuit is normal, circuit is not used to supply any other electrical
needs (lights, appliances, etc. ) and extension cords comply with
specifications".

It goes on that if these conditions cannot be met a 20 amp circuit may
be necessary. "It is not necessary to change the cord set if this
change is made".

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."