Posted to alt.home.repair
Dano

Default Cleaning Chimney... should I DIY

I think my chimney needs cleaning.... at times I don't get a good draw...
Yes, it could be the chimney itself and how it's designed... or the fact
that it hasn't been cleaned for a godd 2 or 3 years - though I don't use it
untill winter, and I wouldn't say it was under constant use. In the past, a
good draw of course came when it was a windy day...

Just curious, there's only 1 guy in our area who cleans chimney... actually
a brother team... they want $175.00 to do the job... not sure if that's
HIGH! It does include perhaps removing the insert - I have a fireplace with
an INSERT, and cleaning that as well...

I do remember the las ttime I had it done it was $100.00 and all the guy did
was get a shop vac up into the opening and suck the stuff out after
sweeping.

ANY advice would be appreciated... I was going to go to HOME DEPOT and see
what they got for the "weekend warrior"... perhaps I'll tackle that this
weelend!

Thanks
Dano