Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Costs to lay ceramic tile

" news1.news.adelphia.net" wrote in message
We have gotten a quote to lay ceramic tile in our home. More specifically
about 475sq feet of 12 x 12 tile in three rooms. We're thinking that we
will purchase the tile and pay someone for labor and the balance of the
materials. The first quote we received was $2800 for the labor (works out

about $6/sq foot) and an additional $920 for materials (grout, cement

board,
etc.). This labor would include removing the old flooring (1/2 carpet,

1/2
vinyl flooring), laying down cement board, and laying the tile. We're
located in central VA, near Fredericksburg (think outer suburbs/long

commute
outside of DC)

I know every one wishes that they had someone to assure that every

purchase
is a good deal but can anyone shed a light on whether or not this quote
seems at all reasonable? We have a few other requests for quotes out

and
we're waiting on those.

Michael

The price is about right for these parts. Considering the removal factor it
sounds very fair. For where you are it may even be a little low. Did you
get good references or see a job or two this person has done?

The life of the job is highly dependant on the things you don't see with the
finished product. Things like properly securing and floating the cement
board. The quality of the thinset, grout and how it is mixed.

I read your follow up post also. I don't think you want to learn tile
laying starting with 18" tiles. The thicker ones are quite heavy.

Colbyt