Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default Removing surface mount diode

A K tip on a Haako or similar wide wedge or knife tip is wide enough to
reach both ends of the device. Just a dab of fresh solder on either end and
touch both ends at the same time and they come right off.

Leonard

"Ken" wrote in message
Hamad bin Turki Salami wrote:
I have a board that I need to add a diode to. The problem is that
the diode is coming off another board that I've cannibalized for
parts, and I don't know how to get the diode off that board. I know very
little about this stuff. I've removed components before
using an ordinary soldering iron and a solder pump. However,
this diode is tiny and surface mounted, which seems to make things
a bit harder. I tried applying a soldering iron to the leads while poking
at the diode with a metal probe. Eventually, I cracked the diode
this way. Fortunately, the board has a few more identical diodes, so I
have another few shots at this.

Is there a trick to it?

I find using an Exacto knife and a low wattage soldering iron works to
lift each end of the device. Regardless of the technique, you must be
very careful.