Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Default Anybody build their own bathroom vanity?

"Mark Blum" wrote in message
:I am looking to build a vanity for my bathroom and was looking
for
: ideas. Google searches of this group don't come up with much
in the way
: of past discussions, and I obviously can't search the pictures
group.
:
: I will probably build a double-sink vanity, but would be
interested to
: see examples for single-sink styles as well. I know I can look
at
: commercial vanities online for ideas, but I was wondering if
anybody
: here has built their own vanity for their bathroom. It would
be great
: if anybody had a link to pictures on their website or could
post some
: pictures in a.b.p.woodworking group.
:
: Thanks,
: Mark

Looks like lots of good advice here; I have a couple of "other"
category things to add, I think.

1. If the sink is "hung", un-hang it. Much easier to get the
sink out for faucet replacement, etc. And remove the brace it
was hung on. If it's not hung, no sweat.

2. Height, as someone mentioned is good to consider. IFF it's
feasible, but be sure it's not the only bathroom in the house or
you'll go "out of spec" for many people. I'm very tall and
arthritic: I put my sink at MY height so I didn't have to bend
to brush teeth, lean on it to shave, etc.. But the main sink is
at the standard height. Turned out most everyone like the height
of MY sink though; it was the most popular one in the house,
except for young kids.

3. Test fit as many of the harder to measure areas as possible
before actual construction. It'll save days of misery.

4. Don't forget the toe space. Don't forget the electrical if
necessary. I build cabinets above mine so those things mattered.
Don't forget the GFCI's! I dropped my electric razor into the
running water once; no sweat, the GFCI just turned it off.

5. Be sure to consider any possible interference with mirrors,
holders etc. around it. Some may have to be moved, depending.

6. Enjoy the work; it'll be there to look at for a long time if
it works out well g and you'll be proud of it.

HTH,

Pop