Posted to rec.woodworking
Walt Cheever

Default vaseline to restore shellac?

A bit OT but:

I found that Vaseline was just the thing to restore the seriously chalked
finish on a fiberglass boat. The guy who suggested it recommended using 90
weight oil, but that stunk like an an old garage. The Vaseline took 20
years off the appearance, went on MUCH easier than wax (and looked shinier).
It washed off with use, but was so easy to reapply that it didn't matter.

Walt C

"alfred" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Dingley ha scritto:

On 11 Jan 2006 04:33:39 -0800, "alfred" wrote:

I just bought an antique piano, and the previous owner was kind enough
to give the finish a boost by applying a coat of melted vaseline over
the shellac.

Depending on the age of the piano, the finish probably isn't shellac
anyway,

Piano finishing scares me. It's _very_ hard to restore.

it's a european piano from the late 1800's.. shellac.

someone mentioned paint thinner, as it doesn't melt shellac..
do you mean toulene, I mean Nitro thinner?