Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Default Which cross slide table or vise to buy?

You can get them pretty cheap, but some of them are pretty sloppy.
Some have locking gibs and that is a nice feature.
Personally, I'd look at it as a long term investment and go for an
X-Y table with tee slots so I could either put a vise on it or use the
tee slots to hold things down.
On my 15" Craftsman floor model drill press, I have a 40 year old
(bought it new) Craftsman/Atlas X-Y table that also rotates. I have 3
different size vises that I bolt onto the table for various jobs. I
even have a wooden table (6" of 2X4 that clamps into the vise with a 10"
square of plywood screwed to it that I use real often. Using that table
gives me a surface that I can drill into and I don't have to remove the
X-Y table.
Also, I'd go for the biggest table I could afford.

Palmgren is a good name.

Pete Stanaitis

Alex wrote:
I am on the market to buy a cross slide table or vise for my drill press.
I won't be doing any milling on it.
Can you recommend me any particular xy vise or xy table plus regular vise?

My budget is $100

Thanks,
Alex