Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default Rayburn efficiency?

wrote:
As you see many Rayburn owners turn them off in the summer

That's what I do. I wouldn't want the thing sitting there eating
fuel up all the time.

and make do with an ordinary cooker instead.

Yup. I use an "ordinary" cooker in the winter too, when the range
isn't ready for the job.

They only need to take a small logical
step to understand that this makes the Rayburn redundant as a cooker.

This is so - however, some people actually like having them (some
people like to be seen to have them, it must be said!).

Not to mention that most Aga owners also have a collection of toasters,
electric kettles, microwaves, baby belling hot plates etc etc to make
up for the deficiencies of the Agas.

I've an electric kettle, and a microwave as well as a "normal"
cooker. I think that's it. Oh, no, I've a "breadmaker", too.

Rayburns were an improvement on the open fired range which in turn was
better than a fire in the middle of the living room floor, but things
have really moved on over the last 80 years or so. So it takes half an
hour or so to get up to heat - lighting and cooking on open fires can
be faster than that!
Latest models have added gas burners and electric ovens etc. They are
evolving slowly and will eventually perform just as well as proper
modern conventional cookers - which is what they will be!

I've been thinking about a nice range cooker and a gas boiler,
it must be said. There are considerable attractions to that!