Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mitchell

Default Anybody build their own bathroom vanity?

Mark Blum wrote:
I am looking to build a vanity for my bathroom and was looking for
ideas. Google searches of this group don't come up with much in the way
of past discussions, and I obviously can't search the pictures group.

I will probably build a double-sink vanity, but would be interested to
see examples for single-sink styles as well. I know I can look at
commercial vanities online for ideas, but I was wondering if anybody
here has built their own vanity for their bathroom. It would be great
if anybody had a link to pictures on their website or could post some
pictures in a.b.p.woodworking group.

Thanks,
Mark

I did a small powder room one. It is shaped like an oval 'bass drum'.
The sides are flexible ply covered in oak veneer with a solid oak, oval
ring around the bottom and an oval top with oval sink. There is an
attached, framed mirror as well. I made a matching curved shelf for
behind the toilet/bidet.

I made a much more standard one for the master with 2 sinks in a flat
counter, with a cherry front edge and arborite. There is a single
cabinet with 3 drawers underneath, between the sinks, also in cherry to
match (well sort of) our cherry Bedroom suite.

I'm working on one for the main bath now with a side pedestal and shaped
counter. Construction will be similar to the powder room.

I would recommend the curved 'drum' approach if you want something
STRONG and not too hard to make. (router/table saw/sandpaper)

Either way, bathroom cabinets are fairly easy and can add a very rich
appearance to the bathroom.

Rob