Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

Default Should I believe the Comcast repairman?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:50:38 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

| Steel wool stops mice from getting through holes. Don't use steel wool soap
| pads. Mice and rats can chew through spray foam. Put some traps that are
| made for outdoors near where they chewed. Probably wasn't a squirrel if it
| was at ground level. They usually only try to get into a house up high.

I had squirrels eating holes through the wood facia boards of the
house. A contractor told me to fill the holes with patching concrete,
like Rock-tite, with steel wool mixed in it.

Squirrels ate right through it, no problem. I can't imagine squirrels
or rats being stopped by foam and steel wool if they wanted to get
through it.

On heavy-duty poly trash barrels, I spray on "Ropel" spray, a vicious
mix of tobacco juice and god knows what else. Seems to work. The
critters were eating big holes in the tops. Can't see why it wouldn't
work on the cable. Just use it outside, not inside.

Be really really really careful not to get it on yourself, your dogs
and cats, your kids. Watch out for backspray. This stuff is
unbelievably bitter, stings your eyes, makes your skin hot. Ask me how
I know.