Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Default Garage door center support

Clamp a vise grip onto the shaft so it is against the wall preventing the
shaft from rotating and the cables coming off the drums. Keep away from
that center support until the tension is off the spring..
Using a pair of winding bars that fit securely all the way into the winding
plug, unwind the springs, remove the tension completely off the spring.
Secure a NEW "mounting pad" to the wall using a couple of lags. DO NOT NAIL
IT IN PLACE. Strike a line level from the center of the shaft on one side
to the center of the shaft on the other. Remount your center support and
springs on center then wind em up. Download the instructions he
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/Stdr...lyInstruct.pdf

Cindy
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

"Bill" wrote in message
The center support (On the opposite side the spring tensioned) pulled the
lag screw out of the 4X6 wood piece it was screwed into. It pivoted up,
and pretty much jammed the door. I called the guys who repaired the door
last spring (Replaced the spring) and they can't get to it for at least a
week. Looks like I am going to have to do the job myself. I have worked on
garage doors before but I don't relish the idea of working with that damn
spring. I have the tools, need some advise.
Thanks
Bill