Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Muscle

Default Single stage vs. dual stage furnace

Thanks for that info. I've done some quick math and I'd probably save
maybe $150-200 a year with a 94.5% unit. Meaning it would probably
take me 5 or so years to recover the initial extra cost of the unit.
Unfortunately most of the units I've been looking at only offer a 5
year parts warranty (1 year labour). So after 5 years I've brocken
even assuming I haven't had to pay labour for anything yet. After
those five years as long as the unit runs fine I'll be ahead, but just
one breakdown every two years or so and I'll be breaking even again
(assuming the average call of a breakdown is $300 ... especially if
it's late at night ... which is usually the case, isn't it ). Hence
my hesitation to go for a high efficiency unit.

Harry